KeyCDN is a service of Proinity Ltd, a Swiss company, with its headquarters located in Winterthur. KeyCDN offers high performance Content Delivery Network packages at a very competitive price. In this KeyCDN review, we will scrutinize every aspect of KeyCDN’s offering in order to validate the claims of the company and examine the performance of the content delivery network.
In order to understand the importance and excellence of this network, certain questions need to be answered first.
What is a Content Delivery Network or CDN?
CDN is a system of servers spread over the world in multiple data centers across the internet. These servers connect you to the nearest point of presence or POP and helps improve the speed of your connection. It serves almost all sections of the internet. It includes all web objects, downloadable objects, applications, live streaming media, social networks and so on.
Why do you need CDN?
CDN is beneficial to you in a number of ways
- It accelerates your content.
- It will allow you to scale seamlessly as it reduces operational costs.
- If you have a close POP, it reduces loading time, lower latency and minimized package loss.
- It will reduce the load on your server, thereby giving your site visitors a seamless browsing experience.
What You Get With KeyCDN
KeyCDN are not claiming they are the best Content delivery network in the market, their unique value proposition is competitive pricing. KeyCDN offers the lowest price you can find on the market, I would avoid tagging it a cheap CDN as that could be mistaken for poor performance but it certainly wins in the competitive pricing category.
KeyCDN offers every customer shared SSL for free.
Custom SSL Certificate
If you already have your own SSL certificate, it is integrated for free and if you need a custom SSL from KeyCDN, it is priced at $29/year.
Pay As You Go
KeyCDN only charges you for what you use, no minimum commitment or standard fees. If you do not use your account, you only get charged for storage.
Traffic is charged at $0.04/GB
Storage is charged at $0.90/GB per month
Pull and Live Zones are free
No Charges for HTTP Requests
KeyCDN does not charge extra for HTTP requests or any traffic-related usage.
Transparent Pricing Model
KeyCDN’s pricing model is transparent. Payment can be made with Visa, MasterCard, American Express and PayPal. No payment fees.
KeyCDN offers free $1 credit to get started. This means you can sign up and you get 25GB worth of traffic, this traffic is valid for a year.
Setting Up KeyCDN On WordPress
You can get started with KeyCDN by simply signing up, remember, you do not need a credit card to get started, once you sign up you get a free $1 credit and that credit is valid for a year if you do not exhaust it.
1. Sign Up at KeyCDN.com
2. Activate your Account
3. Create a Pull Zone
How To Create A Pull Zone on KeyCDN
- Sign in to your KeyCDN dashboard
- Click on the Zones tab from the left navigation bar.
- Click on New Zone (blue button)
- Input a Zone Name of your choice.
- Set zone status to active and the Zone Type to “Pull”. (Enable advanced features for other options e.g Shared SSL, gZip)
- Enter the Origin URL (e.g. http://www.wpseer.com)
- Save the zone
Note: The deployment of the new zone takes approximately 5 minutes.
6. Ensure You wait for about 10 minutes after creating the pull zone to enable it fully propagate.
7. Enjoy your free 25GB worth of credit.
- Large file download tests the best services for larger file downloads (e.g. video streaming)
- Small file download tests the fastest services for a web app or website (web pages typically consist of many small files)
- Network latency tests the overall responsiveness of a service and is generally most affected by geographical proximity
Apart from the performance test carried out through Cloudharmony we also deployed KeyCDN on this website for the purpose of this KeyCDN review and the results were pretty impressive. Compared to the Jetpack free photon CDN, we experienced faster page load and a significant reduction on server load when using KeyCDN.
KeyCDN's market offering is really attractive, many WordPress bloggers would find it to be an easy solution and a very useful alternative to the expensive industry standard content delivery networks.
Pricing KeyCDN offers their services at an attractive price, at 0.04/GB this is an absolute steal, free 25GB credit on sign up, no set up fee & no credit card required on sign up.
Performance Our test results ranks KeyCDN very high on almost every test. This means KeyCDN is not just another cheap CDN option, it is an excellent content delivery network that is as good as any offering in the market.
Ease of Use KeyCDN is quick and easy to set up. In less than ten minutes, the pull zone was up and running and every image was served through KeyCDN.
Support KeyCDN has a quality and brilliant support team. Every ticket opened was closed in less than an hour, I was enjoying the quality support even before I signed up for the offering.In conclusion, KeyCDN is an excellent content delivery network every WordPress user should consider using, it is free to try, so go ahead and sign up for the service, if it does not improve your website's overall performance, you can simply disable it at no cost.